It’s no secret: Central Florida is hot! When Orlando temperatures rise into the upper 80s and 90s, even the most fervent sun worshippers need a little break. As Orlando locals, we’re no strangers to the heat and humidity, but even we need to cool down occasionally. Here are some of our favorite water parks and rides, indoor activities, and other fun ways to enjoy that Central Florida sun while keeping cool.
#1: Orlando Water Park Rides
Sun, warm weather and theme parks: elements of the perfect family vacation. Central Florida is home to some of the best water theme park rides in the world.
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach: This winter-themed park boasts one of the world’s tallest and fastest waterslides, family-style raft rides, a one-acre wave pool, thrill rides and more ways to help you stay cool.
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon: Raft the wild and rushing rapids of Gangplank Falls, coast down a lazy river, get your whitewater journey on at Miss Adventure Falls, splash in the giant wave pool, or relax on a sandy beach.
- Universal Orlando’s Volcano Bay: Centered in this water park is a huge volcano, Krakatau. Housing three drop capsule slides, one of them—Ko’okiri Body Plunge—is the tallest body slide in America. The volcano also houses the Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides, allowing you to travel throughout the heart of the volcano while winding around its Krakatau Aqua Coaster.
- Disney’s Splash Mountain: When you’re at Disney’s Magic Kingdom theme park, accompany Br’er Rabbit on an adventure! Hop inside Splash Mountain’s hollowed-out log and glide along rocky caves, vine-strewn swamps and sun-drenched meadows, just before splashing down a refreshing waterfall!
- Aquatica: From kid-friendly attractions to cool cabanas for the whole family, experience thrilling water slides, relaxing rivers, wondrous wave pools and unique animal encounters at this SeaWorld water park. Visitors enjoy a southern Pacific theme featuring Australian and New Zealand mascots. Say “G’day” to Kata the kookaburra, Wai the Commerson’s dolphin, Ihu the gecko, Papa the royal spoonbill, and other park friends.
- Encore Club AquaPark: Staying at Encore Resort at Reunion? Enjoy our AquaPark! Spend the day (or more) at our huge drop slide, water slides, resort community pool, splash pad, beach volleyball, Surfin’ Safari children’s splash area, and cabanas, among other beach-side amenities that are perfect for staying cool when you want to.
#2: Indoor Activities & Attractions
When air conditioning is what you’re after, we’ve got spectacular things for you to do indoors in Orlando.
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not!: Experience 10,000 square feet of weird, amazing and kooky attractions that are sure to keep all ages amused. It’s the only place in Orlando with shrunken heads, authentic vampire killing kits, a shooting gallery and a wild spinning vortex tunnel.
- WonderWorks: Have you ever heard of an amusement park for the mind? With 35,000 square feet of “edu-tainment,” combining education and entertainment with more than 100 hands-on exhibits that challenge the mind while sparking the imagination, WonderWorks will keep you on your toes (and out of the sun).
- Coca-Cola Orlando Eye: This 400-foot-tall giant Ferris wheel gives you breathtaking 360° views of Central Florida in all directions, including sights of downtown Orlando’s skyline, theme parks and, on a clear day, views of Cape Canaveral on the east coast.
- Madame Tussauds Orlando: Pose for the paparazzi on your very own red carpet with some of today’s biggest celebrities, including Ryan Gosling, Johnny Depp, Selena Gomez, Jennifer Aniston, Will Smith and more!
- SEA LIFE Orlando Aquarium: The underwater world is closer than you think with interactive rockpools, magnificent sharks, Clownfish, seahorses and more! Many of the creatures at SEA LIFE are on the endangered species lists – some have been rescued but can’t be re-released into the wild or have been born and bred as part of a conservation project.
- iFLY Orlando Indoor Skydiving: Take flight in an indoor wind tunnel! Enjoy the simulation and experience of true free-fall conditions in iFLY’s vertical wind tunnel. Float on a smooth cushion of air – there are no parachutes, no jumping and… nothing attaching you to planet Earth. Plus, it’s out of the hot and humid weather.
#3: Cool Off with These Chill Dining Experiences
- ICEBAR Orlando: The largest permanent ice bar in the world has been named one of the top 10 “Extreme Barhopping” bars by the Travel Channel. With state-of-the-art lighting, exquisite carvings, cool music and a hot fire lounge, ICEBAR is a must-stop cooldown spot for your vacation.
- minus5° Ice Bar: You want cool, you got it! Everything at minus5° is made of ice – walls, chandeliers, seats and even the glasses you’re drinking out of are ice. Enjoy this winter wonderland that boasts incredible, interactive ice sculptures. Exhilarating LED light shows and upbeat music plays while you dance the night away. This is also kid-friendly
- Disney’s Ice Cream Carts: They’re everywhere. And they’re worth it. When it’s 93° outside and you’re spending the day in high humidity, nothing beats the heat like a Mickey Bar ice cream treat. Luckily, ice cream carts are located throughout each of the four Disney parks, so you can cool down whenever and wherever you need.
It doesn’t matter what time of year you plan to visit Central Florida—the sun is almost always shining and even in the winter, the temperatures can reach into the 80s or higher. Plan your Orlando vacation in style and come home to cool down at Encore Resort at Reunion. Our guard-gated community features modern 4- to 13-bedroom homes with backyard pools, washer/dryer units and fully equipped kitchens, plus our resort-style amenities like a free shuttle service and the amazing AquaPark we mentioned above. Each of our homes offers ample room for you to socialize, relax and unwind or plan the week’s activities.