Who says “adulting” has to be lame? With so many countries to visit and so many beverages to sample, nothing quite compares to a day of drinking around the World Showcase at Epcot Center in Walt Disney World. It’s true this isn’t a new fad, but we’ve served up some fresh insider tips to help you get the most out of your kid-free day in the happiest place on Earth. Let’s start with the basics:
A Quick Epcot Tour
• There are 11 countries at Epcot, all of which serve alcoholic beverages
• Epcot World Showcase countries include (counter-clockwise): Canada, United Kingdom, France, Morocco, Japan, United States, Italy, Germany, China, Norway and Mexico
• Ticket prices vary – plan to spend just over $100 per person to enter the park
• Stay for the IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth – this nighttime show closes the day at Epcot and is one you will forever remember
Top-Rated Epcot Drinking Spots
• United Kingdom: The Rose & Crown is a must-stop destination at Epcot and one not many pass by; try the Welsh Dragon or a half-Harp/half-cider snake bite. Hungry? Fish and chips it is!
• France: One of the prettiest spots in Epcot, the France Pavilion’s Les Vins des Chefs de France has a Grand Marnier Orange Slush (yes, slush) that will make you swoon.
• Morocco: The Spice Road Table restaurant is a hidden Epcot gem. It offers fantastic views of the World Showcase and IllumiNations. Try the Tangier’s Breeze, Spice Road Signature Sangria or the Andalusian Nights Cocktail. Dining out? Try the coriander-crusted rack of lamb.
• Japan: The Outdoor Sake Bar specializes in… sake, and a sake flight is a must! However, it’s the Tokyo Sunset that has everyone coming back. Why all the chatter? Coconut Rum, Peach Schnapps, Banana Liqueur and Pineapple Juice. Another fave is the Frozen Kirin.
• Italy: The Via Napoli Drinking Cart serves up the best limoncello cocktail this side of Florence – the ambiance is also one for the books as you will sip and stare, feeling like you’ve been dropped into a little Italian village. Heading to the Tutto Italia Ristorante? Order the Bellini. Another must-try? The White, Best of Italy and Grand Tour wine flights from the Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar are fabulous.
• Germany: Even the non-beer drinkers of the world feel compelled to order a Hefeweizen when they stop by Sommerfest in Germany – grab a brat and a pretzel while you’re there. Also try the white, red and dessert wine flights at Weinkeller.
• Mexico: Step away from the outdoor drink carts (unless you want pre-made drinks) and into La Cava Del Tequila, which serves the best of the best in Blood Orange Margaritas, Avocado Margaritas and Jalapeno Margaritas. Oh yeah… tequila flights, too. Get your eats on with mahi-mahi or blue crab tostadas and house-made guac.
Other Options at Epcot
First, let’s just make it known that there really aren’t “places to avoid” if you’re drinking around the world at Epcot. But if you’re on a time crunch, only want a few drinks or just want to know the best spots, the aforementioned locations are the place to be. The following choices are slightly lesser known but are a must if you want to complete a full trip around the Epcot globe:
• Canada: Le Cellier Steakhouse is a very popular dinner spot and we highly recommend it. But if it’s just the drink you’re after during your world tour, you can’t go wrong with a Canadian beer from the beverage cart, or a Crown Royal Maple.
• United States: The United States is a huge attraction at Epcot and the Liberty Inn is a must-stop for educational purposes. It also serves up a mean (and frozen) Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Coke, and a tasty Red Stag Lemonade.
• China: Pop into Joy of Tea for a Canto Loopy cocktail or the Tipsy Ducks in Love (bourbon whisky, coffee, black tea, cream and chocolate syrup).
• Norway: For the coffee addicts out there, try the Viking Coffee cocktail with Kamora Coffee Liqueur and Baileys Irish Cream. Got the munchies? Try the school bread.
• Africa: What? Africa’s not on the list! Like a handful of other nations, “Equatorial Africa” was slated to become a full pavilion but was never fully realized for a variety of reasons. Today this area between China and Germany is just an outpost, but it’s the perfect place to stop in if you’re looking for shade and rest, and maybe even a Frozen Elephant.
Insider Tips for Drinking Around the World at Epcot
• Common Sense: Every country in Epcot serves up signature dishes. If you’re going to spend the day drinking, spend the day eating, too. Stay hydrated with water along the way – aim for a glass of water per alcoholic beverage to help keep the good times rolling.
• Bathrooms: While Epcot has bathrooms everywhere, most often they are packed, packed, packed. However, there are a few spots in the World Showcase where the lines stay short. The Morocco and German pavilions are out of the way, unassuming and, well, more private. Avoid the US – right in the middle of the showcase, the bathrooms here are always busy and crowded.
• Tandem Drink: Partying with friends? Eleven countries can be quite the imbibe session. Make the day last longer and share the drinks with each other.
• Plan Ahead and Use the Map: OK. So the big entrance into the World Showcase is between Mexico on the left and Canada on the right. A great way to avoid the midday slump is to start in Canada and work your way around counterclockwise, saving the tequila for last.
Book Your Vacation Home Accommodations
After that last cocktail, take our free shuttle home to Encore Resort at Reunion, where you can either keep the party going with a trip to the bar, or relax and unwind in a beautifully decorated 4- to 13-bedroom home. Our guard-gated community also features resort-style amenities like an Aqua Park, dining options and concierge services to help enhance your Orlando vacation.